FROZEN FOOD Flat Rate $25.00 Shipping Charge - All frozen food is shipped in an extra thick insulated foam box with dry ice. It ships 2 days service or less and will arrive frozen just like you pulled it from the freezer. This keeps the foods protein and nutritional quality in tact. We ship Frozen Food orders Monday and Tuesday only. If you order later in the week, we will hold the order and ship out first available frozen shipping day.
Piscine Energetics is excited to announce the release of a new twin pack! PE Mysis + PE Calanus provides a 4 oz blister package of PE Mysis with a 4 oz blister pack of PE Calanus.
Mysis Relicta -- Natural fish food,for finicky saltwater and freshwater fish, by Piscine Energetics
MYSIS are especially interesting because of their nutritional value coupled with their unique applications to salt water as well as freshwater fish husbandry; these qualities have already been recognized by many fish curators, dealers, retailers, breeders, and hobbyists.
Notable qualities of MYSIS
-Completely Natural: Unlike many processed fish foods, MYSIS are (or very closely resemble) a food item which fish would normally contact within their native environment.
- High Protein: The protein content is in excess of that normally recommended for growth, maintenance, and reproduction.
- High Animal Fat: Mysis relicta make nightly vertical migrations from 360 feet to the surface to eat, then return to 360 feet at daybreak. These migrations require enormous amounts of energy which is stored in MYSIS as animal fat. The consumption of MYSIS makes this energy available to fish for general metabolism, swimming, defending territory, and for reproduction.
- Sodium Free: MYSIS are truly "freshwater". The lack of salt intake for fish (especially for marine animals) is desirable since these fish are constantly struggling to expel salt from their bodies.
- Fish Eat Them: It has been well noted that the most finicky fish will eat MYSIS with enthusiasm. Credible sources (references available) report that discus, seahorses (including the leafy sea dragon), tangs, and butterfly fishes will eat MYSIS eagerly (even when stressed or poorly acclimating)! It is a naturally occurring fatty acid in Mysis relicta that initiates this positive feeding response in fish and only Mysis relicta has such naturally high quantities of it. YES, THEY ARE MYSIDS... however they differ from other "mysis" on the market in two distinct ways:
1. MYSIS are 100% Mysis relicta; they belong to the family of Mysidae and are not merely lumped into a "mysis category" like many other small crustaceans whether they are truly mysids or not.
2. MYSIS (Mysis relicta) are a "completely freshwater" species of the Mysidae family; other Mysis species on the market may be a coastal (estuarine) or marine cousin of Mysis relicta.
"The notoriously finicky Copperband butterfly fishes just love MYSIS"
•MYSIS (Mysis relicta)...100%
◦Min. Crude Protein............69.5%
◦Min. Crude Fat...................8.35%
◦Max. Crude Fibre...............2.75%
PE Calanus are a decapod zooplankton sustainably harvested in the pristine arctic waters at a unique stage of their life cycle using a patented, environmentally friendly method. During this active phytoplankton feeding stage, PE Calanus are naturally bio-encapsulated with essential fatty acids resulting in a highly nutritious diet.
PE Calanus are great for freshwater and saltwater fish in addition to being an excellent food for corals and other filter feeding organisms. PE Calanus are instantly recognizable by their brilliant orange coloration stemming from the high levels of astaxanthin and other carotenoid pigments.